Saturday, August 25, 2018

Saturday's Battle Cry

Thursday was a turning point personally for me.We were told to expect 7-10 days in the hospital, but that many babies with this surgery get out in 6 days. I think every day after 7 days, my desire to be home grew and grew. And with that tension came inner turmoil and deep wrestling with God. I really think since March (when Willow was born) I've had a victim mentality with God.What do my prayers matter? Why does He keep giving me such hard stuff? Why doesn't he save me? I stated in an earlier post that I felt like my fight and flight were both at odds, but when I really sit and reflect on it- it's probably just guilt/obligation and flight. I don't know how much fight I had in me with this one. Tim kept telling me, "You just need a good cry." But that's the thing... I couldn't cry and it was toxic. But when the doctors said it would be another 6 weeks and the term temporary or a week now looks like months- everything broke open. I cried a lot on Thursday and slowly a lot of what I was holding in was released. Tim gave me a pep talk at lunch, reassuring me this is not forever, that we will get through this, and that our trust is not that God will give us everything we ask, but that He is working it all together for our good. I have to stop bumming that Willow has Down Syndrome, stop bumming that this stay isn't going as planned and I have to start fighting. Fighting to find the good and be part of the good again.
I'm not much of an old testament type of girl, but lately I've been drawn to the warriors of the Bible. When we found out Willow was in heart block I was drawn to pray Joshua and the battle of Jericho over her heart conduction- that just like the walls of Jericho came tumbling down, so would whatever is blocking her heart conduction.This morning I read about Gideon and how God used him as an underdog to defeat the Midianites. In Judges 7, God says to Gideon, "You have too many men for me to deliver Midian into their hands. In order that Israel may not boast against me that her own strength has saved her announce now to the army 'Anyone who trembles with fear may turn back and leave Mt. Gilead'." I'll give you the abbreviated version of the story... Gideon's army was soon down to 300 and they were gong to fight an army of 135,000. And do know what they went into battle with? Trumpets and empty jars (with torches inside). Spoiler alert: in the end the underdog won because God saved them. But what really spoke to me this morning about this story is: 
1. That God uses underdogs. It displays His glory more than our own.
2. The weapons they used.Trumpets and empty jars (with torches inside)?! Today the trumpets represented praise and the empty jar represented me. I have nothing left but a small torch (a little bit of faith) left inside. But that those are my weapons that God is going to use for this battle.  We are definitely underdogs, but that's exactly where God wants us to display his glory. So today I am choosing to give God praise.

  • Praise for the ordered chaos of this hospital stay. Where I can see  his miracles unfolding. Last night for 2 hours Willow was out of heart block! She has been in and out of partial heart block all day, but we are cautiously optimistic that God is doing a miracle.
  • Praise that the bacteria found was Staph. There is a resistant and less resistant type and she has the less resistant type- the type that is easier to treat. We will not know the treatment till Monday or how long we will be here. But we are thankful this is easier to treat.
  • Praise for my mom. She has been here the entire stay with us. Doing laundry, taking shifts so we could sleep or nap, grabbing rides for groceries. She has the most beautiful servant's heart that shines in times like these. She also has never doubted that Willow will come out of heart block. She is so faithful to Christ.
  • Praise that my best friend, April is flying out this afternoon to be with us.
  • Praise for CrossFit Sioux Falls who did a fundraiser for us yesterday in work outs. People worked hard out of love for us and when the 13 workouts in 13 hours were done, they all held hands and said a beautiful prayer for us.
This worship song is my weapon (trumpet) for the day.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your heart, i needed to hear these reminder's about God today, too. Sharing in your praises and praying for continued progress for Willow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I talked with my aunt who works at the NICU at St Joe's (other hospital in town). She said if you haven't already you want to get in touch with Shannon Shaw who works there at the U. She use to be neighbors with my aunt and she works at the hospital M-W...she said the Drs would be able to get you in touch with her. She was there with her little girl that needed a heart transplant. She is there to help support families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so relieved to hear from you again, Allie. Thank God for your husband and his perspective that you will all get through this....our time is NOT His Time. Yesterday as I was praying for you an old Christian chorus came to me: 'In His time, In His time, God makes all things beautiful, in His time. Lord, please show me every day, as you're teaching me Your ways, that You do just what You say, In Your time.' We continue to pray for Willow's complete healing, and for your rest in His arms and in His Time. You are in a good place now, Allie; you have surrendered it all and that isn't easy but God is Always Faithful when we do. I look forward to seeing you face to face one day as you really don't know me at all, but be assured that prayer is constant for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to hear this from you. This is the Ali I have known for so many years. I was afraid she was disappearing, but praise God, that beautiful, strong, faith centered young woman is back. Willow isn't giving up, she is one strong sister in Christ. She will grow up to know this amazing mama! Prayers continue. I think many of us were getting discourage and that is when evil triumphs. We need to pray all of us through this, so my sister's and brothers in Christ, keep up the prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vs. 2 of In His Time: In Your time, In Your time, You make all things beautiful in Your time. Lord, my life to you I bring, May this song I have to sing, be to You a lovely thing, In Your time. Praying in SD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praising God with you guys today! I’m first thankful for the raw honesty that you just shared. I’m thankful for God’s providence for your family to help you get through all of this. I’m thankful for the way that He’s using this painful time of waiting to draw your family closer together and to God. I’m thankful for the community of strangers that’s forming around you guys. I feel like I know you all, and I love you, and I love joining you in prayer over Willow. I’m thankful for how these prayers are changing lives, and not just the lives of the people in your immediate family. It’s a beautiful thing that’s going on here, and God is glorified!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your honesty and vulnerability. Praying for you and your little family now. Praising God with you for all the good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing from your heart. God bless. Continual prayers. Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah Ali!!!!! You fight girl! But leave the battle to the Lord! Love you!😘

    ReplyDelete